Friday, February 23, 2007

Musings On Second Life. A ToothPasteForDinner Perspective

I'm still on the Second Life fence. Presently I'm able to spend time in the world and entertain myself, but the experience doesn't surpass that of surfing the web. I don't yet get cravings to spend time in Second Life. That said, apparently some people do.

I see the potential... I just don't think it's even begun to be realized yet. The graphics are wanting... and I don't see a real compelling reason yet to use SL over say, IRC to chat with like minded people. I DO however see how it would benefit distance education though I've not had a chance to try it out.

While most articles tout the positive experience I've started coming across more and more that don't. This post makes reference to one that takes a particularly humorous approach to the topic.

Toothpastefordinner (if you've never been there you must go - some of the better web comics available) posted a brief, comedic journal of one man's experience venturing into Second Life.

Everything went black, and I was transported back to Initiation Island. I thought I'd poke around a little more, to see what was available. There was a place called Freebie Warehouse that I teleported to, which was full of.... cubes... with bad JPEGs on the side.

You can click on the cubes and download scripts, which make you do something, or make your guy move around, or wear something. It was retarded. Imagine that every time you bought a shirt from a store, you had to install Windows on your torso. Pretty fun. I walked around in the Freebie Warehouse, trying to strike up conversations, but most people were preoccupied. I suppose in hindsight they probably had to reboot their avatars after installing Rainbow.Armwarmers, or Dragon.Dick, or whatever.


Regardless how you feel about Second Life, this is worth a quick read.

No comments: